Learning never ends
- What’s something that’s been confusing? How would you explain it to someone else?
For me one of the things that I get confused with the most is syntax, or how certain things are set up. As an example I constantly forget how to set up functions and how to use some string and array methods. If I were to explain it I would just say to look it up because that’s the only way to know without just remembering it.
- What is “use strict”;? What are the advantages and disadvantages to using it?
Use strict is a way to make it so that the code I write has to follow rules that make my code cleaner.
Function hoisting from what I understand just means that when code is run it moves everything to the top of its scope. This means everything on a global scope is moved to the top of the file to be read first.
- Explain the importance of standards and standards bodies like ECMA.
Standards make it so code that is written has to follow some guidelines. If there were no standards code would be written in drastically different ways making it hard for others to read.
- What actions have you personally taken on recent projects to increase maintainability of your code?
I’ve been using the prettier extension in VScode to make sure my code isn’t a mess. I delete some useless comments too after I’ve finished with a project.
- Why is it, in general, a good idea to leave the global scope of a website as-is and never touch it?
Messing with global scope might break tons of things on the page and make it almost impossible to write new code at all.